Beer is the world’s oldest and most widely consumed alcoholic drink; it is the third most popular drink overall, after water and tea. Today, being International Beer Day, we celebrate the greatness, which is beer. Celebrated on the first Friday of every August, International Beer Day is a global celebration of beer that takes place all over the world. It is a day for beer lovers everywhere gather with friends to raise a toast to our brewers and bartenders and others responsible for brewing and serving beer rejoice in the greatness of beer! This is the day to step out of your comfort zone and sample other beers. Be adventurous. Try something new. So, if you have been running away from Orijin, today is the day to sample a cold bottle of it.
Beer tastes better when someone else buys it for you. It is known. Be sure to give the gift of beer today, with the words: “I bring you the gift of beer”. By giving the gift of beer to your friends and receiving the gift of beer in return, everyone’s beer becomes much more delicious. Also feel free to do pot belly bumps with your good friends, play beer pong or just binge drink beer while chatting and eating suya with other participants.
Apart from bringing friends together, and giving you confidence and the courage to talk and dance freely, beer has other scientifically proven benefits. Here are six benefits of beer you probably never knew about:
1. Beer protects your heart and lowers blood pressure. Italian researchers discovered that moderate beer drinkers had a 42% lower risk of heart disease than non-drinkers. Beer can also lower your risk for hypertension when drunk in moderation. For maximum protection, keep your consumption to 50cl at around five percent alcohol volume a day.
2. Beer helps fight off infection. Having one or two beers a day can boost your immune system and fight infections, according to a study at Oregon Health and Science University.
3. Beer boosts your creativity. According to a study in the journal Consciousness and Cognition, guys that were a little buzzed with beer solved verbal puzzle problems a few seconds faster than sober ones.
4. Beer improves vision. According to Canadian researchers, a beer a day, especially a lager or stout, increases antioxidant activity that can stop cataracts from forming in the eyes. However, the opposite may happen in people who have more than three drinks a day.
5. Beer lowers the risk of developing kidney stones. Researchers in Finland found that each bottle of beer a man drinks a day lowers his risk of developing kidney stones by 40 percent.
6. Beer has anti-cancer properties. Xanthohumol is found in the hops commonly used in brewing beer and has been seen to play a major role in the chemoprevention of prostate cancer, including prostate cancer. According to Bio-medicine, it is also a good source of polyphenols, due to the grains used for fermentation. It has been proven effective in fighting cancer, just like red wine.
Remember, moderation is key for one to reap all the full benefits that beer has to offer. So, drink responsibly. Don’t forget to show appreciation to your bartender today for serving us with the gift of beer. Let them know that you love and appreciate them. From Orijin, Star and Guinness (debatable), to Gulder and Heineken, to Trophy and Goldberg, Nigeria has a long list of awesome beers. Which is your favourite?
Source: theguardian (www.guardian.ng)