Erukainure, a senior research officer with the Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi, Lagos State, disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos.
• Zobo drink, also known as hibiscus drink, helps in reducing cholesterol level, high blood pressure, diabetes and constipation in the human system.
• It contains between 15 per cent and 30 per cent organic acids such as citric acid, maleic acid, and tartaric acid.
• It also contains acidic polysaccharides and flavonoid glycosides, such as cyanide and delphine.
• Zobo drink helps to lower blood pressure, as it contains an enzyme inhibitor which blocks the production of amylase.
• Amylase is an enzyme that breaks down complex sugars and starches,
• Drinking a cup of zobo after every meal would help to reduce the absorption of dietary carbohydrates and assist in weight loss.
• It is rich in Vitamin C and makes a wonderful herbal remedy to fight off colds and infections, while it also hydrates the body system.
• Do NOT add sugar to zobo drink so that its natural essence could be well-preserved and not contaminated by non-natural essences.
• Pregnant women may not consume zobo, as some studies had shown that it could lead to miscarriage.
• Some pregnant women may be allergic to zobo drink, as it might make them develop itchy red eyes, sinus or hay fever.
• Its safety during breast feeding is unknown and, therefore, it is best to avoid zobo drink when breastfeeding.
• Patients diagnosed with low blood pressure should not to drink zobo; and if they should, they should consult their doctors before doing so. (NAN)